Dienstag, 21. Januar 2014

Internet in Dubai

Hi everybody,

I am in Dubai now and want to share some information about the internet connction there. I live in a house in a community called "Arabian Ranches". The ISP is du Telecom or know as EITC ( Emirates Integrated Telecommunications Company ). They are the only ISP providing Internet service in the gated community " Arabian Ranches " (despite that there are only two telcos in UAE anyway, du and Etisalat ).

Okay, so I live in a house in this neighborhood. As I couldn't get any informations prior actually being in Dubai in my house, I ll try to give some information for people who might have similar question.

DU offers FTTH here. There is a CPE in a cabinet in the house. The CPE is doesn't need power, so I assume they are using a passive optical network (PON). Speeds are up to 100 Mbit. I sticked to the smallest bandwith with 8. Upgrade is always possible.

So the CPE is connected with a double optical cable to the so-called "optical" Layer 2 switch. They installed a Vood 292 "Layer 2" switch next to the CPE. This makes the transition from optical to copper RJ45. You ll find more information on the Vood 292 on the internet.





Two Rj11 are available for analog phone (they do it VoIP -style). Works. 

So the technicians came, did some stuff, asked me where my computer is did some more work and left. They told me to buy a router if I want wifi. After they left, I checked their work....  They did some wiring in the cabinet, put the Vood 292 in and connected the house-cat6 cables to the Vood. The funny thing is, that they did a bad job regarding wiring. They were friendly and all, but they obvious have no idea to a proper cat-wiring.

All the Cat6 cables from the house terminate in this cabinet and they are punched down onto a "Block 66" not a patchpanel! As it hurts my eyes looking in this cabinet, I ll get a patchpanel and install it there. The cabinet isn't a 19"-rack and there are only 10 cat6 so a small patchpanel for wallmounting will be enough. I ll add a small switch and do the job properly. Once I find my camera, I ll make some decent pictures.

You can hardwire your stuff to the Vood 292 and they ll get an external IP. But As I wanna use homenetworking I ll just hardwire one of the eight Vood LAN ports to the WAN of my router. the 7 other won't be used. I am pretty sure if you gonna use IP-TV ( DU offers over 200 FTA channels ) your IP-TV decoder box gonna need hardwire contact on the Vood LAN as they probably use vLAN tagging.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen